Thursday, 31 March 2011

8) Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learned in the progression from it to the full product?



Looking back at my preliminary I believe I have learned at learnt since then up until the production of my final film, ‘Deadfall’. I will look at how I have improved my capability in the production of my short film, in the sense that my camera work and editing has shown a rise in quality.

Analysis 1





Firstly I want to point out that from shot 1 to shot 2, we intended to use continuity editing, however as you can see from the two shots this is known as a jump cut, which is considered as bad editing. Rather what we should have done was continued the shot from shot 1 to shot 2, this could have been done through continuity editing or a match cut, meaning the same a continued sequence however in shot two the camera could perhaps be at a slightly different angle

 









Looking at the shots from my final film in comparison with the ones from my preliminary in the sense of the editing used between the two shots I believe my editing has significantly improved. This is because during this time I have learned that when going from one shot to another, it is best to use continuity editing or a match cut (shots above show a match cut) rather than using a jump cut.

Analysis 2

The from the prelim show the tracking shot of Ayub as he is beating up Julian, the duration between each shot is 1 second. On the Other hand the shots from the final film show a panning shot of Julian walking from his room into the kitchen-sink, the duration is between each shot is also 1 second. The tracking and panning shots both lasted four five seconds.













The shots from the preliminary when played as a video show a wobbly tracking shot; however this could have been improved if the tracking shot was fluently moving around Ayub and Julian. This could have been achieved through the use of a tripod on wheels moving around the two characters, as the tripod prevents the camera from wobbling.

The shots from ‘Deadfall’ when played as a video show a panning shot, which is not wobbly. Looking at the shots from my final film in comparison with the ones from my preliminary in the sense of the way it was shot, I believe my group’s camerawork has significantly improved. This is because during this time I and my group have realised that using a tripod when tracking/panning will prevent the camera from wobbling.

Analysis 3

As you can see the framing of this shot from the preliminary isn’t very effective, therefore an empty space on the right hand side of the radiator, which holds no significance in the film ‘Double Dealing’. Therefore it is not needed in the shot. This framing of this shot could have been improved if the two characters were in the middle of the shot rather then to the left hand side.

On the other hand the framing from ‘Deadfall’ is very good as the space has been effectively used. The character is in the centre of the shot, which is where they should be. Looking at the shots from my final film in comparison with the ones from my preliminary in the sense of the framing, we have developed an idea of whereabouts the characters should be within the screen, and therefore learning how to frame each shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment